Dog-Powered Sports at Gunstock Mountain Resort
June 21, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Rachel Templar
Dog-Powered Sports At Gunstock
All Dogs & Humans are Welcome
Gilford, NH (June 21, 2019) Dogs and humans can both enjoy the days, and nights, of summer at Gunstock Mountain Resort. Gunstock is proud to offer a full set of lessons for dog-powered sports throughout all seasons. Gunstock’s experienced instructors will lead a private lesson where participants and their dog(s) will learn the techniques, calls, skills and safety components of the sport. All dogs and humans welcome!
· Joring is the Norwegian word for “driving” or “pulling”. And dog joring is just that – having your dog assist you, whether you’re skiing (skijoring) or biking (bikejoring).
· Canicross is the sport of cross country running with your dog. The runner wears a waist belt, the dog wears a specifically designed harness and the two are joined by a line.
Gunstock is excited to host the next Muddy Puppy: Obstacle Course & Night Howl on Saturday July 6. Brave the obstacle course with your four-legged friend; prizes will be awarded for time and style. Then there will be an opportunity to socialize, set-up your tent, and have a bite to eat while keeping your pups cool in the shade (or lake). At 5pm Gunstock instructors will host a free Canicross Equipment Clinic in the Stadium to help runners prepare for the Night Howl Canicross Race.
The Night Howl Canicross will follow a similar trail to the May Muddy Puppy – just adding a little more distance, and keeping all the hills. After the race, hunker down with your tired pup around the fire before hitting the hay in your tent.
Camping will be available “community style” which means the Stadium field will be open for tents, bring your own tent and chairs. A central fire ring will be in the stadium, no individual campfires allowed. Toilets and drinking water are available across the street. Cost is $10 per tent. To register for community camping, please call Mountain Sports Center 603.293.4341 ex: 193
Saturday July 6 Itinerary of Events
· 12-1pm Check-in & Registration in the Stadium (field across from the Outdoor Center)
· 1-3pm Obstacle Course
· 3-5pm Food Court open for food & beverage purchase
· 5-8pm Camping set-up in the Stadium & social time
· Community camping available in the Stadium for participants
o Bring your own tent; cost is $10 per tent to set-up in the Stadium
· If you want additional camping amenities, please reserve a traditional campsite at https://www.gunstock.com/summer/camping/
· 5-6pm Canicross Equipment Clinic in the Stadium
o Participants can learn more about equipment, and get canicross tips and tricks.
· 8-9pm Canicross check-in in the Stadium
· 9pm Canicross mass start in the Stadium
o 4k race will be on Cobble Mountain Loop
o Runners are required to wear headlamps (please bring your own)
· 10pm Camping quiet hours
· $50 all day activities
· $25 Night Howl Canicross race only
· $10 per tent for community camping in the Stadium (bring your own tent). Register by calling Mountain Sports Center 603.293.4341 ex 193
· Add $10 for day-of registration
Limit of 2 dogs per participant, please bring proof of rabies vaccine. If you have questions please call Mountain Sports Center at 603.293.4341 ex193
About Gunstock Mountain Resort: Located in Gilford, New Hampshire, and boasting spectacular mountaintop views of Lake Winnipesaukee and the Ossipee Range, Gunstock Mountain Resort is one of the largest winter and summer recreation areas in the state, and one of the oldest, opening its doors in 1937. Gunstock was the first New England ski area to install a chairlift, offers 1,400 vertical feet, 227 acres and 55 alpine ski trails, plus 32 miles of Nordic skiing, fat bike, and snowshoe trails. Gunstock claims New England’s largest aerial obstacle course with 91 challenging elements, more than 1.6 miles of high-adrenaline ZipTour™ zip lines, off-road Segway tours, and the 4,100 foot Mountain Coaster. Gunstock’s campground has 290 sites, cozy cabins, and RV/trailer hookups, providing outdoor accommodation for kids of all ages when they stay and play at the mountain. Gunstock also plays host to a growing number of events, such as the BYODC Pond Skim, Gunstock Hillclimb, Gunstock Mountain Brew & BBQ, and Soulfest. For additional information please visit: www.gunstock.com , www.facebook.com/gunstockmtn, www.instagram.com/gunstockmtn, www.twitter.com/gunstockmtn
# # #